- Associated Press - Friday, May 23, 2014

LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) - Officials say Lafayette’s S.J. Montgomery Elementary will be closed Friday after a 5-year-old student set a fire in a school bathroom Thursday.

Alton Trahan, the Lafayette Fire Department’s public information officer, tells The Advocate (https://bit.ly/1nj2esI ) the fire caused moderate damage to the school’s restroom, located near the kindergarten classroom wing, but no injuries were reported.

Trahan says investigators determined that a 5-year-old female student was playing with a lighter in the restroom. He says the student brought the lighter to school from home.

Trahan says investigators believe the toilet paper was set on fire, which ignited the plastic toilet paper dispenser.

The closure will allow time to clean the school of smoke damage. Students will return to school on Tuesday, following Memorial Day.

___

Information from: The Advocate, https://theadvocate.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide