- Associated Press - Friday, May 23, 2014

CHICAGO (AP) - A Cook County judge has dismissed mob action and obstruction charges filed against the aunt of a Chicago girl accused of fatally shooting a rival during a fight over a boy.

Prosecutors say Vandetta Redwood told police she was at work when 14-year-old Endia Martin was shot death last month by the girl, also 14. Assistant State’s Attorney Jamie Santini says a cellphone video obtained by police put her at the scene.

Defense attorney Mark Almanza argued his client could be seen at the beginning of the video, but not at the shooting scene.

Judge Donald Panarese Jr. called the video “poor,” ruling the burden of proof was not met by prosecutors.

The shooter is charged with murder, along with her uncle, who is suspected of providing her the weapon.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide