- Associated Press - Friday, May 23, 2014

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - Oily rags and other cloth items are being blamed for a fire that caused roughly $30,000 in damage to a well-known Iowa City restaurant.

No injuries were reported in the fire reported early Sunday morning at Hamburg Inn No. 2, which is a popular stop for political candidates and people seeking comfort food.

The Iowa City Fire Department says the fire started on a wall shelving unit located next to a clothes dryer in the basement of the building. Rags, aprons and other items that had recently been laundered continued releasing heat until they started a fire, which spread up the wall and ignited other materials.

On Monday inn owner Dave Panther estimated the restaurant would be closed for at least three weeks.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide