- Associated Press - Monday, May 26, 2014

BANJUL, Gambia (AP) - The Gambia Football Federation has appealed against its two-year ban from international competition for selecting overage players in an under-20 match and forging player documents.

GFF spokesman Bakary B. Baldeh on Monday says that the appeal has been lodged with the Confederation of African Football. CAF suspended Gambia from all African competitions for fielding five overage players in an under-20 championship qualifier against Liberia last month. CAF said some of the players’ passports had been doctored.

The ban meant Gambia’s senior national team was thrown out of qualifying for next year’s African Cup of Nations in Morocco. Under the ban, Gambian clubs aren’t allowed to play in continental games.

Gambia, a small West African nation of less than two million people, has never qualified for a major football tournament.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide