- The Washington Times - Sunday, May 4, 2014

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has announced that the city will continue Michael Bloomberg’s fight for a ban on sodas over 16 ounces.

The city will appeal to the state’s highest court in a continuation of the former mayor’s ban. Mr. Bloomberg had ordered the ban through the city Health Department without the city council’s consent, but a state judge in March 2013 blocked the ban and said he had overstepped his authority.

The law would have prohibited city restaurants, delis and other businesses from selling sodas and other sugary beverages larger than 16 ounces.


TOP STORIES
Why is Hillary attacking Bernie now?
Team Trump mocks Democrats' impeachment case: 'Difficult to sit there and listen'
Record-breaking 100,000 people want tickets to Trump rally in New Jersey


Mr. de Blasio previously said he supported the law in an effort to combat obesity, but hinted he would consider City Council legislation rather than a Health Department edict, the New York Daily News reported.

“I think we could do a much better job of working with parents and working with communities to help them understand why this is a good idea and get their buy-in,” the Democratic mayor said in January.



City lawyers will argue the case at the Court of Appeals on June 4, the Daily News reported.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide