- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 6, 2014

SOUTH TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) - Investigators say an electrical issue sparked a southern New Jersey house fire that killed a woman and sent six firefighters to the hospital.

Ocean County prosecutors also announced Tuesday that the blaze has been ruled an accident.

Thirty-five-year-old Dianna Norwood was killed in the fire, which broke out around 5:30 p.m. Monday in her South Toms River home. An autopsy performed Tuesday determined that she died from smoke inhalation.

Prosecutors say the blaze was caused by the failure of “energized electrical equipment” in the home’s basement.

Five of the six injured firefighters had been released from the hospital by Tuesday afternoon. They mostly suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation, though one firefighter had glass in his eye.

The firefighter who remains hospitalized did not suffer life-threatening injuries.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide