- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 6, 2014

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) - Supervised visits between parents and children at the New Hampshire YWCA where a 9-year-old boy was killed by his father last year are ending because of a lack of money for security.

The president of the Manchester YWCA says the program is ending May 11. It allows the supervised visits in a neutral location.

Monica Zulauf said in a recent statement that while not mandated by law, “the increased security staff we felt is needed at our center is a large, unbudgeted expense at a time when funding for visitation centers is being reduced.”

The program has been operating since 2004.

“This was not an easy decision as this is an important and needed program in our community,” Zulauf said.

She said the YWCA has spent the last few months meeting with community partners and exploring additional funding sources.

She said the YWCA is still seeking funding sources and if it becomes aware of any, will re-evaluate re-opening the program.

Muni Savyon shot and killed his son, Joshua, during a supervised visit last August at the YWCA. He then killed himself.

Gov. Maggie Hassan said last week she plans to sign into law a bill passed by the Legislature to establish a separate crime of domestic violence and name it after Joshua. Making domestic violence a crime will allow the state to collect better data that can be used for prevention, education and intervention.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide