- The Washington Times - Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Ferguson, Mo., grand jury considering the indictment of Officer Darren Wilson, who killed teenager Michael Brown during an altercation in August, left the justice center in St. Louis on Friday without reaching a decision.

Sources told CNN on Saturday that it was unclear when the jury would reconvene.

Local business owners are bracing for more looting and vandalism.

Natalie DuBose, owner of Natalie Cakes and More in Ferguson told CNN she has had fewer customers in anticipation of the jury’s decision.

“If I can’t open my doors every morning, I can’t feed my kids in the evening,” said Ms. DuBose, a mother of two said, and asked protesters to spare her shop, the network reported.

“Just don’t burn my shop down. Don’t destroy it,” she pleaded.

SEE ALSO: Ferguson poll: Few think Darren Wilson should be indicted; 81 percent predict violent reaction

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon declared a state of emergency and deployed the National Guard to Ferguson last week as law enforcement prepares for more violence in the streets.

Protesters are already planning to shut down roads in the area after the decision is announced.

Protest groups, schools, and local business have requested a 48-hour advanced notice of the decision, but that request has not been granted.

Community leaders, activists, and the family of the slain teenager, Michael Brown, have asked for calm and peaceful demonstrations.

On Friday President Obama echoed those pleas, urging protesters to follow the rule of law.

“This is a country that allows everybody to express their views, allows them to peacefully assemble, to protest actions that they think are unjust,” Mr. Obama told ABC News in an interview broadcast Friday. “But using any event as an excuse for violence is contrary to rule of law and contrary to who we are.”

SEE ALSO: FBI sends nearly 100 additional agents to Ferguson

But protesters are still assembling and police arrested three more on Friday after a group blocking traffic refused to move out of the road, CNN reported.

Many of the protests are taking place on West Florissant Avenue, which crosses the road where Mr. Brown was killed by Officer Darren Wilson in August.

One woman told CNN she wishes everyone would just go home.

“I just don’t want more trouble. I live here,” she said.

• Kellan Howell can be reached at khowell@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2023 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide