- Associated Press - Saturday, November 22, 2014

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Mike Weaver kicked a 39-yard field goal in the second overtime and Wake Forest beat Virginia Tech 6-3 on Saturday.

John Wolford was 18 of 32 for 160 yards to give the Demon Deacons (3-8, 1-6 ACC) their first win over Tech since 1984.

Weaver kicked field goals in both overtimes after missing at the end of the fourth quarter of the first Bowl Subdivision game since 2005 to end regulation with no score.

Michael Brewer went 15 of 28 for 126 yards and J.C. Coleman rushed for 98 yards for the Hokies (5-6, 2-5).

They had the ball first in the second overtime, but Marquel Lee and Desmond Floyd sacked Brewer on third down at the 35. That forced the Hokies into a 53-yard field goal that Joey Slye pulled wide left.

Wake Forest went 4 yards in three plays before Weaver’s kick from the left hash ended it.

For Weaver, it was redemption for a rough day: He missed on consecutive snaps earlier in the game and had a chance to win it in regulation.

Wake Forest hurried downfield and moved inside the Virginia Tech 20 to set up Weaver’s 37-yard field goal at the buzzer, but the snap was high and the kick sailed wide right - making it the first scoreless FBS game after 60 minutes since Arkansas State and Florida Atlantic did it nine years ago.

Weaver drilled a line-drive 49-yarder on Wake Forest’s possession in the first overtime before Slye matched him from 28 yards.

Virginia Tech was denied bowl eligibility and will have to beat rival Virginia to reach the six-win mark for the 22nd straight year.

The Demon Deacons snapped a six-game losing streak - their longest since dropping nine in a row in 2010 - and gave first-year coach Dave Clawson his first ACC victory.

They found a way to win this matchup of two of the ACC’s worst offenses.

The Hokies entered ranked 12th in the league in both scoring (25 ppg) and total offense (372 ypg), while Wake Forest was last in both categories with averages of 15 points and 205 yards.

This was the kind of bizarre game when Weaver - who entered 13-of-14 on the year - could pull a 42-yard field goal wide left, get a second chance when Kendall Fuller was offsides - and hook a 37-yarder even wider left.

Virginia Tech didn’t run its first play inside the Wake Forest 30 until less than 10 minutes remained in the fourth, and didn’t take a snap inside the Wake Forest 20 until overtime - when both teams start from the 25.

Both teams had been decent defensively - Virginia Tech has the ACC’s fifth-best total defense while Wake Forest ranks ninth.

But the story of the day was that neither offense could get out of its own way.

At one point in the second quarter the teams combined for more punts (eight) than first downs (seven). The only early scoring chances belonged to the Demon Deacons, but Wolford threw an interception in the end zone and Weaver was short with a 42-yard kick.


Follow Joedy McCreary on Twitter at https://twitter.com/joedyap

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide