- Associated Press - Monday, October 20, 2014

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Prosecutors agreed to a significant bail reduction Monday for a 23-year-old Utah woman accused of leaving her newborn baby in a trash can to die.

Bail for Alicia Marie Englert was reduced to $25,000. Englert will also be evaluated to see if she’s mentally competent to stand trial on an attempted murder charge.

“As long as she doesn’t get pregnant again I really don’t think she presents a risk to the public,” said prosecutor Robert Parrish. The crime isn’t likely to be repeated, he said, and fits a pattern seen in similar cases. “This was a somewhat understandable if very difficult to comprehend action.”

Prosecutors said Englert had the baby girl at home around midnight and left the newborn wrapped in a towel without food or medical attention while she went to work the next day. She’s accused of dumping the girl in the trash Aug. 26.

Englert’s parents have said she has a learning disability and didn’t understand what she was doing or why it was wrong.

Judge Elizabeth Hruby-Mills barred Englert from communicating with people involved with the case about it, including her parents, former co-workers, and a boyfriend. Authorities haven’t determined the baby’s father.

Englert, who has been held on $500,000 bail for nearly two months, was told not to have unsupervised contact with children. Defense attorney Zach Weyher declined to say whether she would post the bail and be released.

If she does post bail and is released, Englert agreed to live with her brother.

Englert appeared in court Monday with her hands shackled, her hair tied back from her face. She spoke with one of her attorneys and responded promptly to questions from Judge Elizabeth Hruby-Mills.

Englert faces up to life in prison if she’s convicted.

The baby girl was found Aug. 26 underneath bags of trash, suffering from hypothermia, respiratory distress and a blood-borne infection in the Salt Lake City suburb of Kearns. Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said the child would have died if she wasn’t found by a neighbor who thought she heard a cat purring.

The child was flown to a hospital in critical condition and placed on a ventilator, but has since been released into the care of state child welfare workers.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide