- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 22, 2014

DEARBORN HEIGHTS, Mich. (AP) - Money that was raised with hopes of getting a 13-year-old Michigan boy to a U.S. hospital for treatment after he was shot in Yemen has been used to buy a headstone for his grave, his family said.

Jayzon Mosed, of Dearborn Heights, died Sept. 19 in Yemen after being shot in the head Aug. 6 in what was described as a feud between two families, the Detroit Free Press reported (https://on.freep.com/12awxc5 ). Jayzon, the second-oldest of seven siblings, had made the trip to his father’s homeland this summer before he was to start eighth grade at Priest Elementary-Middle School in Detroit.

“The kid has the biggest heart you’ve ever seen in your life,” said his mother, Amanda Mosed, 33.

Jayzon was with family and others on their way to breakfast when the vehicle was targeted by gunfire. Jayzon was able to run about a half-mile from the scene from his aunt’s house, but he had been shot and went into a coma before he died, the newspaper reported,

The boy’s father, Fadhl Mosed, 39, of Detroit, joined his son for part of the trip but had already left the country before the shooting. He said it was important for his son to have the experience of visiting the area despite State Department warnings about potential security threats.

He said he believes the shooters intended for his son to die even though he wasn’t the primary target.

“They wanted to see pain,” he said.

The family tried unsuccessfully to get Jayzon to an American hospital. He was buried this month in Woodmere Cemetery in Detroit.

___

Information from: Detroit Free Press, https://www.freep.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide