- The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Seattle wide receiver Percy Harvin had two touchdown receptions and a rushing touchdown called back because of penalty on Monday night in the Seahawks’ 27-17 victory over the Washington Redskins.

“The first one I was cool with,” Harvin said. “When the second one happened, I was like, ‘Wow.’ Then then the third one happened, I just flipped my hands down. I couldn’t believe it.”

Harvin, who finished with four catches for 27 yards, ran 16 yards on a jet sweep in the second quarter for a touchdown before left guard James Carpenter was flagged for holding. Following a timeout, the Seahawks turned to Harvin again, with quarterback Russell Wilson throwing a 26-yard screen pass before Harvin was ruled to have been ahead of the line of scrimmage.

And, in the fourth quarter, Harvin was wide open in the end zone for a 41-yard touchdown reception, only to have that called back when Carpenter was called for unnecessary roughness for jumping on Redskins nose tackle Chris Baker as he attempted to get to his feet.

“I’ve never seen that in football,” Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman said. “I’ve never seen that ever. I’d be curious to see those calls.”

Jackson scores, comes out sore

SEE ALSO: Russell Wilson a man out of reach for Redskins’ defense

Wide receiver DeSean Jackson broke through a tackle from his longtime friend  Sherman on his way to a 60-yard touchdown.

It was the league-leading 19th touchdown for Jackson on a gain of more than 50 yards since entering league in 2008.

“I’m still learning how to best work with him,” said quarterback Kirk Cousins. “Those two plays showed how good he is, and it’s just a matter every week of learning how to get him the football, because when the ball is in his hands and we’re giving him a chance, good things always seem to happen.”

Jackson had his left shoulder, which he separated in a Week 2 victory over Jacksonville, wrapped in ice after the game.

“It’s in better shape than it was a couple weeks ago,” Jackson said. “Toward the middle of the season, I won’t feel it anymore.”

Flags were flying

SEE ALSO: LOVERRO: A tale of Redskins quarterbacks past, present and pretend

Seattle was called for season highs of 13 penalties for 90 yards against the Redskins — something free safety Earl Thomas found suspicious.

“The reason it was so up and down, sometimes the refs kind of get into it and it kind of makes the game feel weird,” Thomas said. “I think it’s ‘Monday Night Football,’ you know? The fans are watching, and everybody wants to see a good game, so they’re going to try to make it as close as possible. It’s a business.”

Keeping it real

The Seahawks successfully ran a fake field goal with 11:24 remaining as Jon Ryan, their punter, took the snap and ran 4 yards for a first down.

“I think it was the perfect opportunity there, especially when they had the measurement going on,” Ryan said. “They couldn’t really see us over there talking like you sometimes do before a fake. It was a perfect storm, and it was just a great time and a [gutsy] call.”

Ryan, in his ninth season, said he believed it was the first time he had converted a first down on a fake attempt since 2007, when he was with Green Bay.

Williams toughs it out

Left tackle Trent Williams played Monday night with a heavily taped knee a week after dislocating his right kneecap.

“It’s not a new thing for me to play through something that hurts,” Williams said. “I was able to tough it out. I felt like I was in a position where I had to fight through it for my team.”

Williams left the game for five plays in the fourth quarter after cramping but was able to return. Right tackle Tyler Polumbus dislocated a finger, outside linebacker Brian Orakpo aggravated his sprained right ankle, inside linebacker Perry Riley sprained his left knee and free safety Ryan Clark injured both ankles, but all were able to return to the game.

Extra points

One game after throwing four interceptions against the New York Giants, Cousins was not intercepted on Monday, marking the first time in six career starts he did not throw an interception. … Running back Alfred Morris fumbled the ball in the first quarter, marking the second time this season he’s fumbled and the 11th time he’s done so in his career. Fullback Darrel Young recovered Morris’ fumble for a 6-yard loss. … Inside linebacker Akeem Jordan made his Redskins debut after missing the first four games with a sprained MCL in his left knee. Jordan was on the punt return and kickoff return units, and he returned a short kickoff five yards with 21 seconds remaining. … Tight end Niles Paul (concussion) said he was fine during game. … Despite returning to practice for the first time since straining his left quadriceps in the season opener at Houston, tight end Jordan Reed was inactive and did not play. Also inactive for the Redskins were strong safety Trenton Robinson, cornerbacks Tracy Porter and Richard Crawford, right guard Spencer Long, wide receiver Santana Moss and quarterback Robert Griffin III. … The Seahawks snapped a six-game regular-season losing streak to the Redskins that dated back to 1998, though they had defeated Washington three times in the postseason since then. The Redskins, meanwhile, have lost their last seven games in primetime and 17 of 20 since start of the 2008 season.

• Zac Boyer can be reached at zboyer@washingtontimes.com.

• Todd Dybas can be reached at tdybas@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide