- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 1, 2015

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) - A house fire in Anderson County has killed an 88-year-old World War II veteran.

Authorities tell local media outlets that the body of Jack Hawkins was found Tuesday a few hours after a fire broke out in the bathroom of his home near Broadway Lake. Officials said the fire was caused by smoking. The coroner says Hawkins died of smoke inhalation.

Hawkins’ daughter says her father was a Marine who took part in the attack on Okinawa and was aboard the USS Missouri in Toyko Bay when the Japanese surrendered in 1945.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide