- Associated Press - Saturday, April 18, 2015

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - A Lincoln man has filed a $2.7 million claim against the city of Lincoln and Lancaster County, saying law enforcement wrongly seized cash and property from his home last year after his brother was arrested in a drug raid.

David Tarrence, 59, filed the claim Wednesday, the Lincoln Journal Star reported (https://bit.ly/1ztH24v ). Tarrence, the owner of a Lincoln moving company, says law enforcement officials last April seized $224,000, several firearms, ammunition, a coin collection, silver and gold bullion and a safe from the home he shares with Tamara Geis.

The claim says the seizure came after a drug informant told officials that Tarrence’s brother, Gary Tarrence, had a large amount of marijuana and cash that he kept in a safe at his brother’s house.

Officers found about 35 pounds of marijuana and $6,000 at Gary Tarrence’s home before heading to David Tarrence’s home and seizing his cash and property.

The claim also says that on Sept. 25, police used dogs to look for drugs hidden in trucks used by David Tarrence’s company, Local Movers, and that the trucks were damaged in the process.

Lincoln attorney Tim Sullivan, who is representing David Tarrence, said no drugs were found in the trucks. Sullivan said the $2.7 million being sought is “a fair amount for the deprivation of liberty and violation of constitutional rights.”

While Gary Tarrence faces federal drug charges, David Tarrence has not been charged with a crime. The money and property seized amounted to his life savings, his claim says.

David Tarrence has unsuccessfully petitioned court officials for the return of the property.

The claim allows him to later file a lawsuit if the city and county reject or ignore the claim.

Lincoln City Attorney Jeff Kirkpatrick declined to comment to the newspaper on the claim.

___

Information from: Lincoln Journal Star, https://www.journalstar.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide