- Associated Press - Monday, April 20, 2015

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - The improper disposal of smoking materials is being blamed on a fire at a South Portland apartment building.

The two-alarm fire broke out in the four-unit building on Grandview Avenue just after 10 p.m. Sunday.

Lt. Robb Couture said in a statement that three of the four units were occupied and all the residents made it out safely.

He says the fire started on a porch in the rear of the building and extended to the main structure. The porch and a utility room were heavily damaged by fire, while three of the units sustained smoke and water damage.

The building had working smoke detectors.

No initial estimates of damage were available.

The Portland and Scarborough fire departments assisted.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide