- Associated Press - Thursday, February 12, 2015

HAZEL PARK, Mich. (AP) - The state has ordered a utility to report on the circumstances surrounding a natural gas service shut-off at a Detroit-area home where a man died of hypothermia and other causes.

John Skelley’s body was found Feb. 1 in his Hazel Park home. Authorities say the 69-year-old died of hypothermia and other factors.

The Michigan Public Service Commission on Thursday directed Jackson-based Consumers Energy to investigate and submit a report.

The CMS Energy Corp. unit calls it a “tragic death” and says it extends sympathy to his family and friends.

Spokesman Brian Wheeler says it sent three notices before cutting service Jan. 19. He says Skelley wasn’t the customer of record and Consumers was unaware he lived there.

Wheeler says it has a shut-off protection program for people 65 and older.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide