- Associated Press - Tuesday, January 13, 2015

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A Connecticut woman who authorities say tortured her 70-year-old mother for more than three hours before giving up in apparent frustration when she wouldn’t die was committed to a maximum-security psychiatric hospital Tuesday for 40 years.

Gail Litsky, 48, was committed by a judge to the Whiting Forensic Division at Connecticut Valley Hospital in Middletown.

Her public defender, William O’Connor, told The Associated Press he was glad Litsky “is now in a supportive therapeutic environment where she can receive the treatment she needs.”

In October, Litsky was found not guilty by reason of insanity of attempted murder and other charges. Authorities say Litsky went to her mother’s West Hartford home last February, repeatedly struck her, cut her with a knife several times, burned her with a cigarette and choked her, before giving up.

After being arrested, Litsky told authorities God told her to attack her mother, police said.

Her mother, Evelyn Nirenstein, now 71, survived and testified at the trial. She has said her daughter suffers from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.

While recovering in the hospital after the attack, Nirenstein told WFSB-TV that her daughter also tried to electrocute her.

“She kept saying, ‘Why don’t you die already? Why don’t you die? Have a heart attack and die,’” Nirenstein said.

According to court documents, Litsky told authorities she was in a hospital on the day of the attack and was discharged, despite pleading with hospital staff not to release her because she believed she was a danger to others. She also said a crisis hotline didn’t send someone to pick her up as she requested, court documents said.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide