- Associated Press - Friday, January 9, 2015

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A man fatally shot after authorities said he lunged at an officer with a knife outside an Ohio airport tried to kill his mother in 1999, according to court records released Friday.

Hashim Hanif Ibn Abdul-Rasheed broke into his mother’s house in Cleveland on Sept. 22, 1999, shot her two or three times, then stole her car, the records said. He was arrested the next day with two handguns. The records say Abdul-Rasheed was a diagnosed schizophrenic.

Afterward, Abdul-Rasheed was indicted on charges including attempted murder, aggravated burglary and aggravated robbery - all with firearms specifications. A court determined he was mentally ill subject to involuntary hospitalization, and found him not guilty by reason of insanity in June 2000.

He was committed to the maximum security unit of a psychiatric facility in Dayton. The records don’t list his mother’s name.

Abdul-Rasheed remained under court supervision for more than a decade, transitioning to a different behavioral health care facility, then a group home with full-time supervision in 2002, semi-supervised housing and eventually independent living, according to Cuyahoga County court records. His commitment ended in December 2012, and the case was closed.

Cleveland Attorney Mark Marein, listed in court records as Abdul-Rasheed’s attorney, said he has no memory of the 1999 case. Cuyahoga County Judge Timothy McCormack, who found Abdul-Rasheed guilty by reason of insanity, also said he does not remember the case.

County records indicate the same defendant had been convicted of attempted felonious assault in 1995 under a plea deal. His five- to 10-year prison sentence was suspended, and he was put on probation and sentenced to community service and counseling.

Police are still trying to figure out why Abdul-Rasheed, 41, tried to use a woman’s ID to buy a ticket at Port Columbus International Airport on Wednesday afternoon before returning to his improperly parked car, where he got into a confrontation with an airport police officer.

An officer fired at Abdul-Rasheed after he lunged at him with a knife, then a second officer fired after Abdul-Rasheed got up and headed back into the terminal, according to Columbus police. Police said Abdul-Rasheed had multiple knives on him.

Abdul-Rasheed’s wife told Columbus police officers last summer he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and was not taking his medicine, according to records.

Neighbors and the property manager at Abdul-Rasheed’s apartment complex in suburban Hilliard said they saw a man fitting his description yelling and talking to himself Tuesday afternoon outside his apartment.

Abdul-Rasheed’s mother-in-law told The Associated Press Thursday the family did not know what happened and was trying to gather information.


Gillispie reported from Cleveland.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide