LONGMONT, Colo. (AP) - A pair of young eagles that lost their mother to electrocution in May ventured away from their nest near Longmont and state wildlife officials took one to a rehabilitation center.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers found the eagle sitting on the ground near the nest. It was having trouble flying and was being picked on by its sibling.
According to the Longmont Times-Call (https://tinyurl.com/pdja8e8), the bird was dehydrated and hungry, but in otherwise good shape.
The mother bald eagle was found electrocuted atop a power pole on May 26. Officials later determined that the mother eagle had been holding a fish in its talons, and the fish touched a live wire on a power pole.
Wildlife officials put up perch guards on the power poles to prevent another accident.
Information from: Daily Times-Call, https://timescall.com/
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.