- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Police are investigating two separate killings in the District on Monday — one across the street from the Metropolitan Police Department’s headquarters and the other about a block from the department’s 1st District, also home to the homicide unit.

In the brazen, broad daylight attack near police headquarters, two people wielding knives chased a man, stabbed him and ran, according to an account posted by police on a department-run list serve. The stabbing occurred just after 3 p.m. Monday.

A police officer was flagged down and alerted to the stabbing victim, found alongside a building in the 400 block of E Street Northwest, according to police. The man was taken to a hospital, where he died. Officer Sean Hickman, police department spokesman, was unable to provide any description of the attackers.

Police have not released the name of the man killed.

In addition to police headquarters, the downtown area is also home to a D.C. government building, D.C. Superior Court and the D.C. Court of Appeals.

The day’s second homicide occurred about 4:50 p.m. in the 1300 block of First Street Southwest, in a neighborhood about a block from the 1st District station. An account posted to the Metropolitan Police Department’s list serve states that a person was found suffering from multiple gunshots to the chest.

Police identified the victim as 47-year-old Jerome Diggs of Southwest. No description of his killer was provided.

The killings bring the number of homicides in the city up to 81 this year, a 16 percent increase over the 68 homicides reported at this time last year.

Noting the proximity of the slayings to police stations, police union Chairman Delroy Burton said the stabbing near headquarters was particularly brazen. At any given time, a dozen officers might be walking around the entrance of headquarters, increasing the potential for a criminal to be caught, he said.

“But when they have the opportunity to hurt each other, they will do it,” Mr. Burton said. “The location doesn’t matter.”

Overnight, police also investigated three separate stabbings, none of them fatal.

In the first, a woman was stabbed around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday in the 2500 block of Pomeroy Road Southwest after she was approached from behind. She was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening. No arrests had been made as of late Tuesday.

Another woman was stabbed during an altercation around 3:45 a.m. in the unit block of Massachusetts Avenue Northeast. Police arrested 41-year-old Jennifer Gilley of Northeast in connection with the attack, Officer Hickman said.

In an early-morning robbery, a man was stabbed by someone among a group of two men and one woman. The group approached the man from behind at 5:37 a.m. in the 4000 block of Minnesota Avenue Northeast and took property from him, Officer Hickman said. He could not provide details about what was taken or the extent of the man’s injuries, saying only that the man was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide