- Associated Press - Thursday, July 9, 2015

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A maintenance worker at a Hartford nursing home was hospitalized after inhaling fumes from accidentally mixing chlorine and acid.

The unidentified man was conscious and responsive after the incident, which occurred Thursday morning in the pool area of Avery Heights senior living community. He was transported to Hartford Hospital in stable condition.

Deputy Chief David Serpliss says the man was working with pool chemicals outside when a cloud formed from the accidental mix. Smoke-like fumes still rose from the 55-gallon barrel hours after the accident.

Firefighters remained on location until state environmental officials neutralized the chemicals.

Avery Heights President Patrick Gilland says the incident occurred because the facility hired a different pool chemical vendor who uses a different color coding system.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide