- The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The House Select Committee on Benghazi is giving former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton more time to comply with a subpoena sent earlier this month for all of Mrs. Clinton’s communications related to Libya.

The due date for the subpoena sent on March 4 was originally March 13 but was extended to March 27.

The committee, chaired by Rep. Trey Gowdy, South Carolina Republican, is investigating the circumstances surrounding the Sept. 11, 2012, terrorist attack on a U.S. compound in Benghazi, Libya, in which four Americans were killed, including U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens. Mrs. Clinton, the front-runner for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, was secretary of state at the time.

“Chairman Gowdy granted a reasonable extension because for him this is not about politics, it is about getting all relevant documents for the committee,” said committee spokesman Jamal Ware. “He still believes the best option for Secretary Clinton is to turn over her server to a neutral arbiter to independently determine what should be in the public domain. The committee has no interest in her personal emails.”

In explaining her use of a private email system and server while serving in the Obama administration, Mrs. Clinton said on March 10 she turned over more than 30,000 emails she deemed work-related to the State Department but deleted nearly 32,000 she judged to be private. 



The State Department has said it is reviewing the emails Mrs. Clinton turned over to decide what can be released to the public.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide