- The Washington Times - Monday, May 11, 2015

A man fatally shot Sunday by two Prince George’s Count Sheriff’s deputies in Landover earlier had threatened to “gut” his girlfriend with a knife and chased after her in his truck, ramming her car as she fled, according to a peace order petition filed by the woman.

Two deputies chased after 34-year-old Lionel Lorenzo Young’s truck for more than three miles and opened fire on it after he struck two of their cars in the parking lot of a middle school, according to official accounts of the incident.

The Prince George’s County Police Department, which is investigating the shooting, said in a statement released Monday that Mr. Young “intentionally struck” the deputies’ vehicles “at which time the two deputies fired at the vehicle, fatally striking Young.”

Mr. Young’s girlfriend described the events leading up to the deadly encounter in a peace order petition she sought late Sunday to keep him away from her home and work. The Sheriff’s Office’s account of the incident indicates that by the time the order was approved at 12:38 a.m. Monday, Mr. Young already had been fatally shot.

According to the peace order petition filed in Prince George’s County District Court, Mr. Young and his girlfriend had been embroiled in a fight Sunday night after breaking up. As they argued about possessions in front of Mr. Young’s home, he pulled out a knife and said he “should gut” the woman.

Mr. Young’s mother tried to intercede, and the woman, who is not being named because she is a victim of a crime, drove off in her car.

SEE ALSO: D.C. officials, privacy advocates spar over police body cameras

The woman said she dialed 911 after she realized Mr. Young was following her, according to court documents. An emergency dispatcher told the woman to drive to a shopping center to wait for police to arrive.

In the handwritten peace order petition, the woman described a hectic chase through the Addison Plaza shopping center parking lot as Mr. Young tried to ram her car.

“As I’m driving into the shopping center he ran into the back of my car. So I told the dispatcher and she advise me to keep circling until the police get there and that’s what I did, kept circling and he kept following me trying to run into my vehicle at high speed,” she wrote.

When officers arrived, Mr. Young called the woman’s phone twice and threatened her again — stating that she had “started war” by sending police to his house while his daughter was there.

The deputies who responded to the scene said they would escort the woman to the court commissioner’s office in Upper Marlboro so that she could file for a peace order. On the way they encountered Mr. Young.

“Me and the police was at the light waiting and he was at the light to the police began to chase him and to my understanding not 100% sure they have him (Lionel Young),” she wrote in the petition.

The police account states that deputies noticed Mr. Young in a vehicle and “attempted to conduct a traffic stop but Young fled at a high rate of speed.” They chased him to the parking lot of G. James Gholson Middle School in Landover, where the chase ended at 10 p.m. when the deputies opened fire.

The woman who sought the peace order declined to talk to a reporter Monday when reached by phone.

Relatives said Mr. Young’s mother was too distraught to speak with a reporter Monday.

The Sheriff’s Office has described the two deputies involved as five- and six-year agency veterans. Spokeswoman Sharon Taylor said the agency plans to release the deputies’ names on Tuesday, and neither deputy was injured.

The Sheriff’s Office runs a domestic violence branch that responds to some calls for domestic assault in central parts of the county.

It was unclear if the shooting was caught on video, but police have viewed footage from surveillance cameras at the middle school, said Prince George’s County Public Schools spokeswoman Sherrie Johnson.

William Milam, president of the Deputy Sheriff’s Association, said he hopes that the two involved deputies will be treated fairly throughout the investigation.

“The deputy sheriffs are entitled to due process,” he said.

It is the second fatal shooting involving a deputy since October, when Deputy Kendal Wade shot and killed 38-year-old Michael Ricardo Minor while responding to a domestic violence call in Suitland, The Associated Press reported. A grand jury declined to indict Deputy Wade, according to The Washington Post; Minor’s family filed a $10 million wrongful death suit against the county last month in federal court.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide