- Associated Press - Thursday, May 14, 2015

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - For the third time in recent months, discarded charcoal ashes caused a house fire in Charlotte.

The Charlotte Observer (https://bit.ly/1AYF7FM ) reports a fire occurred Monday when charcoal ashes from a grill were put into a plastic garbage can, according to fire officials. Two people were inside the home, but weren’t injured. Firefighters rescued two cats from the home.

Charlotte Fire Department spokeswoman Cynthia Robbins Shah-Khan says charcoal can stay warm and can be a fire hazard for a long time, so make sure coals are completely cooled before disposing of them in a metal container with a metal lid, away from anything flammable.

___

Information from: The Charlotte Observer, https://www.charlotteobserver.com



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide