- Associated Press - Saturday, May 16, 2015

PAHOKEE, Fla. (AP) - Fire officials and neighbors say they tried desperately to pull 14-year-old twin girls from their burning mobile home, but it was too late.

The fire started as sisters Cassandra and Catherine Colon and their mother slept around 1 a.m. Friday morning. Authorities believe it was sparked by an extension cord. The house was quickly engulfed. Sheriff’s deputies ripped out windows and eventually found the girls inside.

They were pronounced dead at the hospital. The girls’ mother was able to escape. She was hospitalized and is expected to make a full recovery.

The fire chief said the home had a smoke detector, but there were no batteries installed.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide