- Associated Press - Wednesday, May 20, 2015

WASHINGTON (AP) - Two children living in D.C.’s largest homeless shelter have tested positive for elevated lead levels.

As first reported by WRC-TV, officials said Tuesday a 2-year-old and 9-month-old staying at the D.C. General Homeless Center are receiving medical treatment for the lead. It’s unclear if they were exposed to the substance, but the cafeteria tested positive for lead, forcing its closure.

City health officials are now testing the entire facility and offering lead testing to all the children still living there.

Lead poisoning typically originates with old chipping paint and can cause serious physical and mental problems. It has been linked to low IQs.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide