- Associated Press - Wednesday, May 20, 2015

COLUMBIA, Pa. (AP) - Officials say a power outage that affected 2,471 people and forced an elementary school to close in southeastern Pennsylvania was caused by a squirrel.

Park Elementary School in Columbia had to close Tuesday morning after the critter came into contact with a primary wire, starting a fire and causing the wires to fall.

Officials say no one was injured in the incident.

PPL crews managed to restore electricity to all but 252 people within a few hours.

PPL Electric Utilities spokeswoman Jessica Long tells LNP (https://bit.ly/1B9Uv2f) the squirrel also caused a circuit breaker to trip and cause fuses in a transformer to malfunction, knocking out power for 21 customers.

PPL has been adding animal guard insulators at the end of transformers to prevent these types of incidents.

___

Information from: LNP, https://lancasteronline.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide