- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 26, 2015

RIVERDALE, Md. (AP) - Authorities say a man has died after he lit a cigarette while pumping gas at a Maryland gas station, igniting gasoline fumes and himself.

Prince George’s Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady says the man was pumping gas at a Shell gas station Riverdale Sunday and lit a cigarette, sparking flames.

Authorities say a witness acted quickly and extinguished the flames on the victim, but the man was severely burned. He was transported to the hospital with critical, life-threatening injuries and later died.

The identity of the man has not been released.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide