- The Washington Times - Thursday, May 28, 2015

One man was killed and a second injured in a shooting on Interstate 295 that shut down the highway during Thursday’s morning rush hour.

Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said investigators believe someone from another vehicle fired at the black SUV driven by the victims around 8:54 a.m. as they passed the exit for the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in Southeast Washington.

Chief Lanier initially said police were investigating the shooting as a possible road rage incident, but officials later backed away from that theory.

“We think it’s possible that the vehicle could have been following before they even entered the District,” the chief said.

The vehicle remained in the middle of I-295 for several hours Thursday morning while officers gathered evidence from the scene. The driver’s side window of the black SUV was shattered.

The driver, who has not been named, was killed. The passenger was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Police received several reports of shots fired along the highway and are seeking witnesses of the incident.

Around the same time as the freeway shooting, police reported an officer-involved shooting in what is believed to be an entirely separate incident.

Chief Lanier said the incident started when officers began to pursue a car believed to be involved in a series of robberies in Southeast.

The car crashed near 25th Street and Palmer Place in Southeast, and as officers began approaching the car, the driver “attempted to ram officers,” Chief Lanier said.

One officer fired, but police reported no injuries to either officers or the occupants of the car.

No further details were immediately available about either the freeway incident or the officer-involved shooting.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide