- Associated Press - Thursday, May 28, 2015

DECATUR, Ala. (AP) - Police say four bystanders broke out a window and pulled an injured man from his burning home in Decatur.

Multiple news outlets report 53-year-old Richard Draper’s grill turned over and caught his house on fire Wednesday afternoon. Draper’s neighbors Wayne Pullum and Cody Sledge, along with Jackie Stracener and another man, pulled Draper to safety.

Draper is being treated in a Birmingham burn unit for burns to 20 percent of his body.

Draper’s sister, who shares the home but wasn’t there at the time of the blaze says she is thankful the men risked their safety to help her brother. She said the family’s dog, two cockatiels and a fish died.

Fire officials have not yet released details regarding the cause of the blaze.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide