- Associated Press - Thursday, May 28, 2015

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - Officials say a fire that killed several animals at a popular Lawrence pet store was accidental.

Fire Department Division Chief Eve Tolefree said Thursday the Memorial Day fire at Pet World was caused by an electrical problem in the main breaker panel.

The fire caused about $500,000 in damages.

The Lawrence Journal-World reported (https://bit.ly/1FFJPfD ) co-owner Sherry Emerson said Tuesday all of the store’s mammals and birds, and some reptiles and fish died in the fire. She would not give an exact number.

However, firefighters were able to rescue several animals and some small animals stored in a separate structure were alive.

Emerson and her husband, Tim, have said they will rebuild the store, which has operated in Lawrence for nearly 30 years.

___

Information from: Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World, https://www.ljworld.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide