- The Washington Times - Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Obama administration has reportedly held off on releasing its plan on closing the terrorist-detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

The proposal, which had been expected this week, is being delayed for financial reasons, a Pentagon official told Politico, and not because of the political backlash against President Obama’s longstanding vow and the proximity to the Paris terror attacks.

A senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity, denied the report and said the administration “is working diligently to finalize the plan to safely and responsibly close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, which will be delivered to Congress when complete.”

“As the president has repeatedly said, the continued operation of the facility weakens our national security by draining resources, damaging our relationships with key allies and partners, and emboldening violent extremists,” the official said. “Closing the detention facility at Guantanamo remains a priority for President Obama.”

Speaker Paul Ryan, Wisconsin Republican, said he was glad to learn of the delay in the plan.



“The administration’s time would be better spent on a plan to defeat [the Islamic State] than on one to move terrorist detainees to our homeland. This delay should be permanent,” Mr. Ryan said.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide