- Associated Press - Thursday, November 26, 2015

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - The Brazilian Football Confederation said its president Marco Polo del Nero stepped down Thursday from FIFA’s executive committee and will be replaced by Fernando Sarney.

Del Nero, who will remain as head of the CBF, had missed recent FIFA meetings in Switzerland. The move was confirmed by the South American football confederation - CONMEBOL - which met Thursday in Rio de Janeiro.

The CBF said in a statement that Del Nero had “announced his resignation” from the FIFA committee. It said Sarney was approved unanimously as his replacement for Brazil.

Del Nero was not indicted in the FIFA scandal that began snaring top football officials six months ago. But he could be arrested if he travels outside Brazil.

Del Nero has been in Brazil since he fled Zurich in late May when Swiss officials - acting with U.S. authorities - arrested top football officials including former CBF president Jose Maria Marin.

Del Nero has been little seen at home. He has not attended recent matches of Brazil’s national team, or appeared at awards ceremonies.

He also missed a celebration on Sunday in his native Sao Paulo, when local team Corinthians was feted for winning this season’s Brazilian league title.

Sarney, a CBF vice president, is the son of former Brazilian President Jose Sarney.

He is expected to attend FIFA executive committee meetings on Dec. 2-3 in Zurich.

CONMEBOL was also expected to name a replacement on the FIFA committee for Luis Bedoya, who resigned earlier this month as the head of the Colombian football federation.

Colombian prosecutors have said they are investigating financial transactions by Bedoya and have requested information from U.S. authorities.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide