- Associated Press - Friday, November 27, 2015

MONTAGUE, Mass. (AP) - A fire has heavily damaged a western Massachusetts apartment house and displaced seven people.

The fire started shortly before 3 a.m. Thursday in the kitchen of the Montague home.

About 70 firefighters from 17 fire departments battled the blaze. Trucks had to shuttle water from a hydrant about a quarter mile away due to a lack of hydrants in the area. The scene was cleared at around 11:45 a.m.

Officials say a dog perished in the fire but seven residents and a guest escaped. The American Red Cross was at the scene to help them.

Authorities suspect that grease was the cause of the flames. A trooper with the state Fire Marshal’s office is investigating.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide