- The Washington Times - Monday, September 21, 2015

The former secretary of the Nobel Peace Prize committee is in hot water once again for going public with the panel’s disappointment over its decision to give President Obama the 2009 award.

The panel, which tries to keep its annual deliberations strictly confidential, on Monday publicly accused longtime committee secretary Geir Lundestad of a breach of trust.

Mr. Lundestad wrote in his new book, “Secretary of Peace,” that the decision to give Mr. Obama the prize just weeks after he took office — indeed he had to have been nominated for the prize before he had even done that — failed to generate the momentum for global disarmament that members had been banking on.

Mr. Lundestad served as nonvoting secretary for the peace prize committee for a quarter century before stepping down last year. The committee said Mr. Lundestad took a vow of silence not to disclose the content of the deliberations, but included the unhappiness over Mr. Obama’s award in his book, which was released last week.

The committee said in a written statement Monday that the former secretary had “broken several points of his vow of silence,” according to The Associated Press, but it did not elaborate.

Mr. Lundestad declined to comment.

Among other things, Mr. Lundestad revealed that the White House at first asked whether Mr. Obama would be required to travel to Oslo in person to accept his prize, before the president decided to make the trip.

The secretary, in an article in a Norwegian newspaper, also revealed that the committee thought that giving the prize to the new American president “would strengthen Obama and it didn’t have this effect.”

“In hindsight, we could say that the argument of giving Obama a helping hand was only partially correct,” he wrote.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide