- Associated Press - Monday, September 28, 2015

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A child who died after getting the wrong medication at a southern Idaho hospital was 7-month-old August Dean Elliott, an attorney for the family said.

Jarom Whitehead says Elliott passed away early Wednesday morning at St. Luke’s Magic Valley Medical Center. Hospital officials then announced the death on Friday.

“The family is interested in getting answers, we’re still not sure what happened,” Whitehead said. “And the hospital is cooperating as we investigate this.”

Information about what medication was given to the child has not been released. However, Whitehead says that the hospital is working with the family in its investigation. Once finished, the hospital’s investigation is expected to be turned over to the state later this week.

Tiffany Elliott, the child’s mother, declined to comment. However, public posts on her Facebook show pictures of Elliott’s last moments in the hospital along with emotional posts expressing how much she missed her son.

“Cherish every moment in your life and love and hold your babies tight i would not wish this on my worst enemy (sic),” she wrote less than a day after Elliott had passed away.

St. Luke’s announced its investigation publicly about Elliott’s death, but doing so is not required by the state, said Niki Forbing-Orr with the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare. The state does not track child deaths in hospitals.

Instead, St. Luke’s must report the medical error to the Joint Commission - the nation’s top hospital accreditation board - but voluntarily chose to alert the state, said Tim Marsano, spokesman for the St. Luke’s health system. The commission listed the Magic Valley hospital as a top performing medical center in 2013.

“We decided this was the best course of action to be transparent and open,” Marsano said. “We will continue to be transparent and open through this process.”

The Twin Falls County Prosecutor’s office is also investigating the death, but details about the investigation remained minimal to the public as law enforcement agencies were being briefed about the case on Monday.

The Twin Falls County Coroner’s office declined to comment when contacted by The Associated Press.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide