- Associated Press - Monday, April 11, 2016

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - A Raleigh fire official says a cigarette butt was likely the cause of a massive fire that engulfed an apartment building, injuring three people and displacing 24 residents.

Assistant Chief W. Keith Tessinear tells news outlets that the fire started Saturday afternoon outside the 12-unit building after a cigarette butt was improperly discarded. Firefighters say two people suffered serious burns while another was injured while jumping to safety from the second floor of the northwest Raleigh building.

Tessinear says the flames spread quickly because weather conditions were favorable for outside fires. It took about 65 firefighters from multiple agencies to control the flames.

The Red Cross responded to help the two dozen displaced residents.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide