- Associated Press - Monday, April 11, 2016

LAUDERDALE-BY-THE-SEA, Fla. (AP) - A Florida doctor who oversaw a medical clinic where a hyperbaric chamber caught fire and killed a 4-year-old Italian boy and his grandmother has lost his medical license.

Health News Florida (https://bit.ly/1Yphwdh ) reported Monday that the Florida Board of Medicine voted unanimously last week to revoke the license of Dr. George Daviglus. He was director for a Lauderdale-by-the-Sea hyperbaric oxygen treatment center when the 2009 fire erupted, killing Francesco Martinisi and grandmother, Vicenza Pesce. Francesco was being treated for cerebral palsy.

Hyperbaric chambers infuse the blood with oxygen and can treat gangrene, carbon monoxide poisoning and divers who get the bends. Some doctors use them for neurological disorders, but there is scant evidence that works.

The 85-year-old doctor asked that he be allowed to treat the homeless, but was denied.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide