- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 13, 2016

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - In stories April 12 and earlier about the rescue of stranded skiers in Alaska, The Associated Press, relying on information from the Alaska National Guard, reported erroneously the location where the skiers were rescued. They were on Harding Ice Field, not Bear Glacier.

A corrected version of the story is below:

2 stuck on Alaska ice field for days rescued in good condition

Rescuers have found two skiers who were stranded on an Alaska ice field for four days


Associated Press

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Rescuers on Tuesday picked up two skiers who were stranded on an Alaska glacier ice field for four days.

The experienced outdoor enthusiasts were in good condition after braving fierce winds and snow by digging a snow cave for shelter.

A break in the weather allowed an Alaska Air National Guard helicopter to land on the Harding Ice Field to reach Jennifer Neyman and Christopher Hanna. Rescuers assessed the health of Neyman and Hanna before they were flown to Central Peninsula Hospital in Soldotna.

Hospital spokeswoman Camile Sorenson said Hanna felt so good, he didn’t check in. Neyman was being evaluated, she said.

“They had to dig out 4 feet of snow around the survivors to get to them,” said Guard Lt. Col. Matt Calabro, 38, the director of operations for the 210th Rescue Squadron, which flies the helicopters.

He said they were in good spirits and uninjured.

“Being on the mountain that long, in the cold, in the snow, isolated, we are going to take them to the hospital,” Calabro said. “We just want to make sure they are safe.”

An airplane had dropped off Neyman, 36, and Hanna, 45, on Friday but could not return that night because of bad weather. Though planning to spend just one day on the ice field, they carried a light tent and two days of provisions, plus communication devices important to their rescue.

Strong wind and snow shredded their tent Saturday. They dug snow shelters but were running out of fuel for their cook stove.

Neyman and Hanna used cellphone calls and satellite text messages to communicate with friends and rescuers. Satellite coordinates indicated the duo were at the 4,300-foot level of the Harding Ice Field, the largest ice field entirely within U.S. boundaries.

Strong winds and low clouds hampered rescue efforts.

“The terrain there is pretty gnarly,” said Calabro, 38, who also was the helicopter pilot on Monday’s attempt to rescue the two skiers.

“High mountain peaks, clouds, snow, icing and the glaciers, so everything is white-on-white,” he said. “It’s like what we call flying in a pingpong ball.”

Besides the white-out conditions, there were 30 mph winds with higher guests. “You can only go as far as you can see, so it’s a really dangerous environment to fly in,” he said.

He attempted to put a four-man rescue team on the ground Monday when he couldn’t land the helicopter. The first attempt, about 8 miles from the skiers, was aborted because of huge crevasses, which would have made for dangerous overland conditions.

The rescue team was eventually lowered to a nearby spot that doesn’t have many crevasses. The team was making the approximate 15-mile hike to the survivors when weather cleared Tuesday.

A Guard helicopter pinpointed the skiers’ location Tuesday, and crew members spotted skis believed to mark the entrance of a snow cave they dug.

The Guard’s Rescue Coordination Center had received a satellite text message from the two earlier Tuesday saying they were “OK.”


Associated Press writer Mark Thiessen contributed to this report from Anchorage.


This story has been corrected to revise the location of the skiers from Bear Glacier to 11 miles west of the glacier, on the Harding Ice Field.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide