- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 13, 2016

EXETER, N.H. (AP) - The Latest on the student sex abuse scandal at an elite New Hampshire prep school (all times local):

7:25 p.m.

An elite New Hampshire prep school says a second teacher has been fired after admitting having sexual encounters with a student more than two decades ago.

Phillips Exeter Academy said Wednesday in letters to staff, faculty, students, parents and alumni Steve Lewis has been fired and is barred from campus and all school events.

Lewis can’t be reached for comment. There’s no telephone number listed in his name.



The school says police have said there are no investigations involving current faculty members. The police chief can’t be reached for comment.

Another teacher was forced to resign in 2011 and was stripped of his emeritus status after admitting to two past instances of sexual misconduct with students.

___

4 p.m.

Police reports say a student who had a sexual relationship with a teacher at a New Hampshire prep school described it as consensual while another student accused the same teacher of sexual abuse.

Documents by the Exeter Police Department were released Tuesday to The Associated Press in response to a Right to Know request about Rick Schubart, who admitted to two instances of sexual misconduct involving the students at Phillips Exeter Academy. They represent the first details from the victims.

Schubart resigned in 2011.

That year, an alumna said she had a relationship with Schubart in 1977, when she was 18. Last year, a lawyer representing a 1982 graduate said Schubart sexually abused her when she was 17 and staff knew about it.

The school says it reported the allegations.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide