- Associated Press - Thursday, April 14, 2016

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Two people have been injured in a fire in a downtown Wichita apartment building, including a 72-year-old man who is in critical condition.

A Sedgwick County emergency dispatcher says the fire started late Wednesday at the Shirkmere Apartments. Wichita fire Capt. Kelly Zane said that the fire started on the second floor when the man, who was on oxygen, tried to light a cigarette and tubing leading from the oxygen tank to him caught fire. Zane said that the flames spread to furniture and the wall.

According to Zane, the man suffered smoke inhalation and minor burns to his face and was transported to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis, where his condition deteriorated overnight. A second person in the apartment was treated at the scene, but was not taken to the hospital.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide