- Associated Press - Thursday, April 21, 2016

NEW YORK (AP) - The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has approved a capital plan that restores funding for the next phase of the Second Avenue subway line.

The New York Times reports (https://nyti.ms/1Nm93qP ) the $29.5 billion spending plan approved Wednesday includes $1 billion for plans to extend the Second Avenue subway to Harlem. That’s about $500 million more than an earlier proposal.

The first phase of the project extending the Q line to 96th Street is set to begin service at the end of the year. The second phase will expand the line to 125th Street.

Local leaders were enraged when the MTA cut the project’s funding last year. Assemblyman Robert Rodriguez says he’s pleased with the funding restoration.

The MTA says it’s applying for a federal grant to pay for the additional $500 million.

___

Information from: The New York Times, https://www.nytimes.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide