- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 26, 2016

ASCUTNEY, Vt. (AP) - Fire officials say a brush fire that destroyed a motel in Ascutney was caused by a young boy with a lighter.

Firefighters were called to a fire behind the Yankee Village Motel on Route 5 around 11:30 a.m. Monday. The fire soon engulfed the motel and firefighters from surrounding towns and New Hampshire were called in. Officials said the motel is a total loss.

Fire Chief Darrin Spaulding says the boy told him he found a cigarette lighter behind the motel and used it to set some leaves on fire.

He says state police are investigating the fire, and they will decide whether criminal charges will be filed.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide