- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 26, 2016

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The Latest on racist text messages exchanged among San Francisco police officers (all times local):

2:40 p.m.

San Francisco’s police chief says a total of three officers have quit or retired after they were caught sending racist and homophobic text messages to each other.

Chief Greg Suhr said Tuesday he is seeking the firing of a fourth officer implicated in the scandal.

The chief says inappropriate text messages “make me sick to my stomach” and has ordered training for the entire department by year’s end. He apologized to San Francisco and said officers who share racist views aren’t welcome in his department.

He said it appears the texts were exchanged when the officers were off-duty. CNN first reported the story.

Suhr said he had no plans to resign.

San Francisco’s public defender a new batch of racist text messages earlier in the day. It’s the second such text messaging scandal since similar texts were released in an unrelated case.

12:30 p.m.

A new batch of racist text messages allegedly exchanged by San Francisco police officers has been released.

The city’s public defender released text messages Tuesday he says were written by a former officer disparaging blacks, Latinos and others. The text messages, which were exchanged with other officers at the time, also make derogatory references to President Barack Obama and NBA superstar LeBron James.

The text messages were found on Jason Lai’s personal cellphone. Lai resigned from the department earlier this month.

It’s the second such text messaging scandal to shake the department since it was disclosed in late 2014 that a group of officers exchanged racist and homophobic text messages in an unrelated case.

Lai’s attorney Don Nobles didn’t immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide