- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 27, 2016

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former “Scandal” actor Columbus Short has tested positive for cocaine and marijuana use and is facing a probation violation in a felony assault case, court records show.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Leslie E. Brown received details about the failed drug tests Thursday and ordered the actor to appear at a hearing May 9 to address them.

The actor told probation officials in early April he used medicinal marijuana daily but had not used cocaine in three years. A drug test administered on April 8 tested positive for cocaine and marijuana use, according to a probation report filed April 21.

A probation officer recommended that Short receive drug and alcohol treatment and be ordered to abstain from alcohol. “For the well being and safety of the defendant and for the safety of the community, a drug and alcohol treatment program would assist the defendant with his substance abuse issues,” the report states.

Short pleaded no contest to felony assault in September and was sentenced to three years of supervised probation, two months of community labor and anger management counseling. He was charged after he delivered a running punch during a fight at a family gathering in March 2014. The blow knocked a man unconscious, gave him a concussion and fractured his eye socket.

The actor has completed anger management counseling, but has not yet completed the community labor terms of his sentence.

Short’s attorney Ludlow B. Creary II said the actor has previously publicly addressed his drug use and no further comment on it was necessary. Short told Access Hollywood in 2014 that his cocaine use and drinking had caused many of the problems that led to his departure from “Scandal.”

Creary said he hopes Short will “complete his probation, and get on with career.” He added that he believed Short’s legal problems are overblown.

“It’s our belief that Mr. Short is going to continue to make progress,” Creary said.

Short, 33, left “Scandal” after being charged in the assault case and a separate domestic-violence case involving his estranged wife.

The actor was ordered to pay the man he struck, Fenton Hyche III, more than $14,000 in restitution to cover medical bills and lost wages.

___

Anthony McCartney can be reached at https://twitter.com/mccartneyAP

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide