- The Washington Times - Thursday, August 11, 2016

Donald Trump’s presidential campaign was sued Wednesday by a former staffer who claims the White House hopeful’s camp failed to act after another employee pulled a gun on him and his colleagues.

The lawsuit, filed in Mecklenburg County Superior Court in North Carolina, accuses the Trump campaign and a former high-ranking official of assault, battery and inflicting emotional distress, among other charges. Attorneys for the plaintiff, longtime GOP operative Vincent Bordini, are seeking damages and have requested a trial by jury.

Mr. Bordini, 41, alleges that Earl Phillip, former North Carolina state director of the Trump campaign, pulled a gun on him as the two traveled from a Greenville hotel to nearby headquarters on Feb. 13.

“The drive started out innocently enough. The two men rolled down the South Carolina roads, discussing Mr. Trump’s campaign and other political happenings” wrote Mr. Bordini’s lawyer, Sean Herrmann.

“All of a sudden, Vincent saw Phillip pull a gun out of his side of the jeep. It was a .45 caliber pistol. It was loaded. In fact, Phillip previously told Vincent that he keeps his guns loaded. Phillip held the gun in his right hand, the one closest to Vincent. Phillip’s index finger was on the trigger,” the attorney wrote.

Mr. Phillip stared ominously as he placed the barrel of the gun on his passenger’s left knee cap, crinkling Mr. Bordini’s jeans and sending him into shock, according to the 15-page complaint.

“Vincent froze. Phillip’s gun was loaded and the safety was off. A bump in the road would likely result in a bullet hole, and worse, in Vincent’s knee,” the complaint reads.

The two didn’t discuss the incident again, according to the lawsuit, but Mr. Bordini, a software trainer for the Trump campaign, relayed the events later that evening to an unnamed regional director, who in turn admitted to having previously been involved in an identical experience with Mr. Phillip.

Mr. Bordini subsequently brought the matter before the campaign’s national field director, Stuart Holly, who ultimately failed to take action, the complaint alleges. Mr. Trump’s campaign manager at the time, Corey Lewandowski, was reportedly informed about the initial incident nearly one month later on March 9, “but did nothing to correct Phillip’s brazen behavior,” according to the suit.

“Upon information and belief, Phillip pulled his .45 caliber pistol on at least two other campaign members,” Mr. Herrmann wrote on behalf of Mr. Bordini. “Vincent also learned about at least two other individuals outside the Trump Campaign who underwent similar trauma.”

Despite campaign officials being notified within hours of the alleged encounter, the complaint charges that the Trump camp took no action whatsoever to resolve the matter.

 

“I just wanted the campaign to care,” Mr. Bordini told the New York Daily News Thursday.

A spokeswoman for the Trump campaign did not immediately respond to requests for comment when contacted Thursday by CBS News affiliate WBTV, which initially reported the lawsuit.

The Trump campaign had recently appointed Mr. Phillip to the role of deputy chair of the candidate’s National Diversity Coalition — a position he stepped down from Thursday after roughly a week on the job, WCCB in Charlotte reported.

“I have retained legal counsel. I have also stepped down from all affiliation with any and all organizations associated with Donald J. Trump for President to include the campaign and National Diversity Coalition for Trump,” Mr. Phillip told the news network within hours of the lawsuit being filed.

 

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide