PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - A judge has refused to release a 20-year-old man who prosecutors say used a baseball bat to smash cars and public property during a protest against President-elect Donald Trump.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reports (https://bit.ly/2gXJly4 ) Prosecutor Ryan Lufkin says Mateen Shaheed wasn’t participating in the Nov. 10 protest turned riot, but that he used the event as an opportunity to vandalize an estimated $50,000 in property.
Shaheed was caught on video engaging in several acts of vandalism, including damaging vehicles at a Toyota dealership. He remains jailed on $250,000 bail.
Shaheed’s attorney asked a judge Monday for his release, but the judge denied the request, citing Shaheed’s previous criminal history.
Lufkin says Shaheed was arrested twice for abusing his girlfriends and damaging cars, once last year and again in July.
Information from: The Oregonian/OregonLive, https://www.oregonlive.com
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.