- Associated Press - Friday, December 2, 2016

LU VERNE, Iowa (AP) - A north Iowa family suspects their dog, Sammy, of starting a fire that destroyed their kitchen.

Mike Nilles, of Lu Verne, tells the Mason City Globe Gazette (https://bit.ly/2gutdmH ) he found 3-foot flames climbing up his kitchen cabinets Nov. 23.

Nilles turned off the stove and alerted his wife, Lynzie. The couple then helped their 2-year-old daughter and four dogs escape.

The fire gutted the kitchen and left a coat of soot in the living room.

Nilles says he can’t be sure, but he suspects their 7-year-old dog Sammy of jumping onto the gas stove. The stove’s knob was pushed to the ignite position and was still clicking in the empty kitchen when Nilles smelled smoke.

Nilles speculates Sammy, a Weimaraner, jumped up to “sniff around and hit the button.”

___

Information from: Globe Gazette, https://www.globegazette.com/


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide