- The Washington Times - Thursday, February 11, 2016

Univision and Donald Trump buried the hatchet Thursday and agreed to settle the billionaire businessman and GOP presidential candidate’s lawsuit after the Spanish-language network refused to carry his Miss Universe pageant.

Terms of the settlement are secret, Univision said.

The network dropped the pageant last year after Mr. Trump began his presidential bid with a broadside against illegal immigration and a criticism of Mexico for sending rapists and other bad elements to the U.S.

Mr. Trump then sued for breach of contract, asking to be awarded $500 million.

Univision argued that Mr. Trump’s comments on illegal immigrants tarnished him and his media empire, thus ruining the value of the Miss Universe pageant for Latino audiences and voiding the contract.

Mr. Trump’s lawyers argued he’d always taken a stiff stance on illegal immigrants.

Both sides offered kind words for one another in a joint statement.

“I have known Univision’s President and CEO, Randy Falco, for more than 20 years and I’m glad we are able to put these differences behind us,” Mr. Trump said in the statement.

Mr. Falco said something very similar: “I have known Donald Trump for many years in both a personal and professional capacity and we are pleased to settle this matter and move forward.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide