- The Washington Times - Thursday, February 11, 2016

The city of Cleveland has filed a claim against the estate of Tamir Rice in the amount of $500 for the emergency response services he received after he was shot by a police officer.

The Director of Law Barbara A. Langhenry said the Rice family is responsible for a past due amount owed for the ambulance and medical services rendered as the 12-year-old boy’s “last dying expense,” a local CBS News affiliate reported.

The creditor’s claim was filed Wednesday in Cuyahoga County Probate Court.

The attorney for Samaria Rice, Tamir’s mother, said in a statement: “The callousness, insensitivity, and poor judgment required for the city to send a bill — its own police officers having slain 12-year-old Tamir — is breathtaking. This adds insult to homicide.”

The city’s police union President Steve Loomis called the claim “unconscionable.”

Cleveland police fatally shot Tamir Nov. 22, 2014, on Cudell Rec Center’s playground in front of his school, after responding to a report of a male with a gun. Officer Timothy Loehmann shot Tamir, who was black, within seconds of arriving at the rec center with partner Frank Garmback.

The “gun” was later found to be an Airsoft replica that lacked the orange safety feature marking it as non-lethal. More than a year later, a grand jury handed down no indictment of both police officers, sparking a wave of backlash fueled by the Black Lives Matter movement.

Mayor Frank Jackson apologized in a press conference Thursday, saying although the billing process is routine, the $500 claim should have never been submitted, a local NBC News affiliate reported.

The city had closed and absorbed the account of medical bills not covered by Medicaid, which had a cap on its payment, and a copy of what was owed was sent to the Rice family, “because they asked for it,” the mayor said.

“There was no intent, and there was no sending of a bill previously or now to the Rice family,” Mr. Jackson said. “It was a mistake of us not flagging it, but it was not a mistake in terms of the legal process.”

The city intends to withdraw its claim from the probate court, NBC reported.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide